Monday, December 29, 2008

Maryland - C&O canal

A few days ago I did my first walk along following the Appalachian Trail from Harper's Ferry into Maryland. I only had a few hours to burn so I only had time to follow the trail along the remainder of the C&O canal until it turned up into the hills.

The trail is wide gravel and very flat. The views are nice, as the trail runs between the Potomac and the C&O canal. Past the canal is a functioning set of railroad tracks.

C&O looking almost operational here. In some other spots there was no apparent water making it through though. Closer to Harper's Ferry there are remnants of a couple of locks.


The hike runs under this bridge - I believe it is the underside of the 340 bridge crossing from Maryland to Virginia.

The end of the walk approaching the bridge back into Harper's Ferry.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment